In december 2000,the Australian government finally setup auDA ,as a body who will monitor the .AU namespace and under telecommunication act 1997 government held all rights.
In October 2001, ICANN recognized auDA a suitable body for .AU namespace.
Apparently auDA, the Australian domain registry, is seeking to enforce a number of restrictions to .AU namespace.
According to website vote.com.au, the policy review panel reports to auDA and it warns Australian registrants about:
- Can’t advertise your domain name for sale,
- Can’t solicit profit for its sale,
- Can’t earn income purely from monetisation and advertising,
- Can’t register multiple domain names,
- Can’t hold multiple domain names unrelated to your business,
- Cant choose your own domain name.
This will be a dampner for the domain space there.