Top 5 Domain Name Stories In May
Here is a look back at the top stories on Domain Name Wire last month, ranked by views.
1. Frank Schilling’s new TLD auction grossed more than $40 million – Schilling’s UNR sold 23 top-level domains to 10 different buyers.
2. Lawsuit: Bird.com and Fish.com domain buyer failed to pay – Right of the Dot’s February domain name auction wasn’t nearly as successful as it first appeared. A bidder who appeared to win three domains for $4.85 million didn’t pay.
3. China wants to patent a decentralized blockchain DNS – CNNIC applied for a U.S. patent covering what it says is a better domain name system.
4. ICANN to terminate Pheenix domain registrar – After many consumer complaints and late bills, ICANN finally pulled the plug on a domain name registrar that was big in the drop-catching game.
5. What’s next for .Web – An Independent Review Panel found against ICANN but not really for Afilias, setting up a few different scenarios for what happens to .web.