Who is Dwyane Wade’s Current Wife? When Did They Get Married?
Dwyane Wade is a former NBA star who played for the Miami Heat, the Chicago Bulls, and the Cleveland Cavaliers. He is widely regarded as one of the best shooting guards of all time, and he won three NBA championships with the Heat. He retired from basketball in 2019 and became a part-owner of the Utah Jazz in 2021.
But who is the woman behind this successful athlete? Who is Dwyane Wade’s current wife? In this article, we will answer this question and more, as we explore the life and career of Gabrielle Union, the actress, activist, and author who married Wade in 2014.
Who is Dwyane Wade’s Current Wife?
Dwyane Wade’s current wife is Gabrielle Union, an American actress who has starred in movies such as Bring It On, Bad Boys II, and Think Like a Man. She has starred in many films and TV shows, such as Bring It On, Bad Boys II, Being Mary Jane, and L.A.’s Finest. She is also the author of two memoirs, We’re Going to Need More Wine and You Got Anything Stronger?, and two children’s books, Welcome to the Party and Shady Baby. She is married to former NBA player Dwyane Wade, and they have a daughter named Kaavia James.
How Did Dwyane Wade and Gabrielle Union Meet?
Dwyane Wade and Gabrielle Union first met in 2007, at a Super Bowl party that they co-hosted. At the time, Union had recently divorced her first husband, former NFL player Chris Howard, and Wade was still married to his high school sweetheart, Siohvaughn Funches, with whom he had two sons, Zaire and Zaya.
Union later admitted that she was not impressed by Wade’s resume at first, as he was an athlete going through a divorce and nine years younger than her. However, after she had a heart-breaking breakup with another immature jerk, she decided to give Wade a chance.
The two started dating in 2009, but they kept their relationship low-key until 2010 when they made their first public appearance together at Wade’s charity event, The Summer Groove.
When Did Dwyane Wade and Gabrielle Union Get Married?
Dwyane Wade and Gabrielle Union got married on August 30, 2014, in a lavish ceremony at the Chateau Artisan Castle in Miami. The wedding was attended by about 200 guests, including celebrities like John Legend, Kevin Hart, Ludacris, and LeBron James. The couple exchanged vows that they wrote themselves, and wore custom-made outfits by Dennis Basso (for Union) and Dsquared2 (for Wade).
The wedding also featured a performance by John Legend, who sang his hit song All of Me for the newlyweds. The wedding was a dream come true for both Wade and Union, who had previously said that they wanted to marry each other forever.
On Instagram, Gabrielle Union shared a photo of herself with her spouse and child:
View this post on Instagram
How Many Children Do Dwyane Wade and Gabrielle Union Have?
Dwyane Wade and Gabrielle Union have four children together: Zaire (born in 2002), Zaya (born in 2007), Xavier (born in 2013), and Kaavia (born in 2018). Zaire and Zaya are Wade’s children from his first marriage with Funches. Xavier is Wade’s son from his relationship with Metoyer. Kaavia is Wade and Union’s daughter via surrogate.
Wade also has custody of his nephew Dahveon Morris (born in 2002), who is the son of his sister Deanna. Wade and Union are proud parents who love their children unconditionally. They are especially supportive of Zaya, who came out as transgender in 2020. They have publicly praised her courage and authenticity and advocated for LGBTQ+ rights.
If you want to check out more recent articles. You can check the link below:
- Who is Charles Heung’s Current Wife Tiffany Chen? How Did They Meet?
- Who is Jimmy Garoppolo Wife? Is the NFL Player Currently in a Relationship?
What Are Some of the Challenges That Dwyane Wade and Gabrielle Union Have Faced in Their Marriage?
Dwyane Wade and Gabrielle Union have not had an easy marriage. They have faced several challenges and controversies over the years. Some of them are:
- In 2011, Funches sued Wade for full custody of their children, accusing him of being an unfit father and exposing them to his “s*xual foreplay” with Union. She also claimed that he had given her an STD during their marriage. The court dismissed her claims and awarded Wade sole custody of their children in 2011.
- In 2013, Wade admitted that he had fathered a son with another woman named Aja Metoyer while he and Union were on a break. He said that he had been honest with Union about it and that they had worked through it together. Union accepted his apology and agreed to marry him after he proposed to her with an 8.5-carat diamond ring.
- In 2016, hackers leaked n*de photos of Union that she had sent to Wade while they were dating. Union said that she felt violated and humiliated by the incident and that she had reported it to the FBI. She also wrote an essay for Cosmopolitan where she spoke out against revenge porn and cyberbullying.
- In 2020, Wade revealed that he had a strained relationship with his mother, Jolinda Wade, who had been addicted to drugs and alcohol for most of his life. He said that he had forgiven her for her mistakes and that he had helped her get sober and become a pastor. He also said that he had bought her a church in Chicago where she could preach.
- In 2021, Funches filed an objection in a Los Angeles court to block Wade’s petition to have Zaya’s name and gender legally changed. She alleged that Wade was trying to exploit their child for fame and money and that he had not consulted her about the decision. She also requested that Zaya wait until she was 18 before being able to change her name and gender. Wade responded by saying that he would not allow Funches to make a mockery of his family and that he was only supporting Zaya’s life choices.
Dwyane Wade’s current wife is Gabrielle Union, a talented actress, activist, and author. They met in 2007, started dating in 2009, got married in 2014, and have four children together. They have faced many challenges in their relationship, but they have also overcome them with love, honesty, communication, and therapy. They are one of the most inspiring and adorable couples in Hollywood, and they show us that true love can conquer all.